by Darynda Jones
Narrator: Lorelei King
Published by MacMillan Audio on January 15, 2019
Genres: Adult Paranormal Romance
Length: 8 hours and 39 minutes
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble
Grim Reaper Charley Davidson is back in the final installment of Darynda Jones’ New York Times bestselling paranormal series!
Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper extraordinaire, is pissed. She’s been kicked off the earthly plain for eternity – which is the appropriate amount of time to make a person starkraving mad. But someone’s looking out for her, and she’s allowed to return after a mere hundred years in exile. Is it too much to hope for that not much has changed? Apparently it is. Bummer.
She’s missed her daughter, she’s missed Reyes, and Beep, but now that she’s back on earth, it’s time to put to rest burning questions that need answers. What happened to her mother? How did she really die? Who killed her? And are cupcakes or coffee the best medicine? It all comes to a head in an epic showdown between good and evil in this final smart and hilarious novel.
5 stars for Summoned to Thirteenth Grave!
Summoned to Thirteenth Grave is the amazing finale to one of my favorite series. I won’t spoil the ending, but I loved every moment of this. I didn’t want this to end because it meant saying goodbye to my favorite characters.
Since I haven’t officially reviewed every book in this series I thought I would share the reasons why I love this series:
- The Charley Davidson series became my go-to book whenever I wanted something fun to read. The romance is sexy and steamy, the mysteries are unique and kept me guessing to the end, and the characters tugged at my heart and had me laughing out loud. Author Darynda Jones is one of my favorite authors and I love her writing. I was amazed at the many twists in each of the books, which some have been so shocking I was in awe for days. This series brightened the days when life was stressful.
- Charley is a crazy character and you never know what she will blurt out or think. Her ADD (attention deficit disorder) sometimes gets in the way of having a normal conversation with Charley, but once she focuses back on the task, she will amaze you with her intuition and crazy schemes. Being the Grim Reaper comes in handy with her private investigating job. As she talks to the dead she solves crimes and brings peace to victims and their families.
- Reyes Alexander Farrow is the ultimate bad boy. He is the son of Satan and younger brother of God, so he is a mix of good and evil. Because of his parentage Reyes doesn’t think he deserves Charley’s love, so their love story is filled with challenges that make their relationship stronger.
- Along with Charley and Reyes is a supporting cast that is diverse and entertaining. These characters add comic relief to the story and are a group I loved spending time with.
- The ladies – Cookie Kowalski, Amber Kowalski, Kit Carson, Gemma Davidson, Pari
- The gentlemen – Uncle Bob, Osh, Garrett Swopes, Leland Davidson
- The ghosts – Angel, Artemis, Strawberry Shortcake (aka Demon Child), Blue, Rocket, Mr. Wong, Aunt Lillian
- Lorelei King narrates all the books in the series and I highly recommend you listen to the audiobooks. She is an amazing narrator and brings the story and characters to life. King has a distinct voice for all the characters. My favorite voices were Angel (the deceased Latino teen gang-banger), Strawberry Shortcake (aka Demon Child, a deceased little girl that is adorably creepy) and Aunt Lillian (Charley’s deceased great aunt, who sounds like she’s talking with dentures). The combination of the writing and performance had me laughing out loud, and sometimes in tears. I primarily listen to audiobooks during my commute to work and this series had me hoping for traffic. I hated to have to pause the audiobook because I was enjoying myself.
I hope everyone takes a chance on this series. You will not be disappointed. I am sad to see this series end and I can’t wait to see what Darynda Jones writes next.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
- 2019 Audiobook Challenge
- 2019 New Release Challenge