Last year I read Ready Player One and loved it (my review), so I was counting the days for the movie to hit the theaters. Since I was on vacation I was able to watch the movie on the premiere day, but I walked out of the theater feeling a little disappointed.
Warning – the following contains spoilers for both the novel and movie.
What did I like?
- The cast – I thought the casting was perfect and they all did a great job portraying the characters I loved. Tye Sheridan (Parzival/Wade) and Mark Rylance (Anorak/Halliday) were perfect!
- The special effects – the movie is directed by Steven Speilberg so it comes as no surprise the CGI was going to be high quality and entertaining.
What didn’t I like?
- The story – there were so many changes from the book I was getting frustrated watching the movie! I know there are always changes made to movie/TV adaptations but there were so many key elements that were changed:
- How the main characters meet – it was rushed and because of this you don’t see Wade’s true passion as a Halliday fan.
- The quests – in the book each quest included a long trial, which I understand would make the movie over 2 hours long, but I was hoping to see some of the scenes brought to life. The movie versions were short and completely different from the book.
- The 80’s references – this wasn’t a focus as it is in the book. I grew up in the 80’s which is why I loved the book. I miss the feeling of nostalgia while I was watching the movie.
As a fan of the book you will probably be disappointed with the movie. But if I step back and don’t compare it to the book, I think the movie was good. I’ll watch it again once it goes on DVD.
Have you seen a movie/TV adaptation of a book you loved or hated?