by Kresley Cole
Published by Valkyrie Press on March 14, 2018
Genres: Young Adult Paranormal
Length: 11 hours and 20 minutes
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble
New intrigues, adventures, and stunning revelations fill the penultimate installment of #1 New York Times best-selling author Kresley Cole’s electrifying Arcana Chronicles.
In a world teetering on the edge . . .
When Evie receives life-changing—and possibly game-changing—news, she has trouble believing it. Why doesn’t she feel any different? Is it possible someone she trusts might be lying?
With enemies at every turn . . .
Tensions seethe inside the castle of lost time as Evie starts to doubt her own sanity. Answers can be found outside their stronghold, but will Death help her find them—or prevent her from learning the truth about her future and Jack’s possible survival?
A mysterious, sinister power begins to affect the Arcana in its path. Forced out into the wasteland alone, Evie must depend on unexpected allies. But as a battle with Richter looms, can her new alliance defeat the Dark Calling before hell reigns on earth?
The Dark Calling is the 5th book in The Arcana Chronicles and I’m addicted to this series. I love Kresley Cole!
- Kresley Cole is one of my favorite authors. The Dark Calling had the action, romance, humor and drama I’ve grown to expect from her books. It is the perfect mix and I didn’t want this book to end.
- I love the world building for this series. There are Mad Max elements (both in the landscape and the viciousness of the characters) but it also visually breath taking. Evie stumbles upon a settlement that was creative and described in detail, I can imagine it clearly. I would love to see this scene in a movie.
- I loved the direction this book went. The story was fast paced and there was a twist to the story that surprised me (I don’t want to spoil it for anyone). We get introduced to new players in the game and rules are broken. I can’t wait to see how everything comes together.
- Evie and her allies made a surprising team and I loved their interaction. There were great moments of banter that had me laughing and also tender moments that reminds us that these were normal people before the Flash.
- As much as I loved this book I am frustrated with the love triangle. I think Evie doesn’t truly love Aric. She is basing her feelings on their past lives and not the present. All the Arcana characters are wary of each other because of the previous games, so I don’t think they are able to trust each other and have a solid relationship. I love Jack and I think he is Evie’s true love. He has made sacrifices for her and loved her for who she is. I also love Aric so I really hate that this series has a love triangle.
- Emma Galvin returns as the narrator for The Dark Calling and I loved her performance. She brings the story and characters to life. I am really impressed with how she conveys Evie’s insecurities and doubts. This was another amazing narration from Emma Galvin.
The Dark Calling is the 5th book in The Arcana Chronicles series so you need to read the books in order. Kresley Cole is one of my favorite authors and I love her creativity and storytelling. I highly recommend this series to paranormal fans.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
- 2018 Audiobook Challenge
- 2018 New Release Challenge