by Lesley Livingston
Narrator: Fiona Hardingham
Published by Listening Library on January 23, 2018
Genres: Young Adult Historical
Length: 10 hours and 19 minutes
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble
The darling of the Roman Empire is in for the fight of her life.
Be brave, gladiatrix… And be wary. Once you win Caesar’s love, you’ll earn his enemies’ hate.
Fallon was warned.
Now she is about to pay the price for winning the love of the Roman people as Caesar’s victorious gladiatrix.
In this highly anticipated sequel to THE VALIANT, Fallon and her warrior sisters find themselves thrust into a vicious conflict with a rival gladiator academy, one that will threaten not only Fallon’s heart – and her love for Roman soldier Cai – but the very heart of the ancient Roman Empire.
When dark treachery and vicious power struggles threaten her hard-won freedom, the only thing that might help the girl known as Victrix save herself and her sisters is a tribe of long-forgotten mythic Amazon warriors.
The only trouble is, they might just kill her themselves first.
5 Stars for The Defiant by Lesley Livingston!
5 words to describe The Defiant – Love, Honor, Sisterhood, Betrayal, Vengeance
Why did I love this book?
- The Defiant is a thrilling adventure from beginning to the end. As the story begins, readers are thrust into the competitive world of the Gladiatrix and it was exciting! This book had the action, suspense and romance that I loved from the first book. Fallon and her sisters (fellow Gladiatrixes) are again fighting for their lives and for their honor. There were a lot of twists in the story, which made Fallon wary of the people around her. The characters were so well developed that I also wasn’t sure who she should trust. This added intensity to the story, which I loved.
- Fallon and her friends share a special bond. They are warriors and sisters. I enjoyed seeing their strength and their vulnerability. By Fallon’s side is her best friend Elka, which I was delighted to see have a larger role in this book. She gives Fallon sound advice and is so funny, despite their grim situation.
- Cai and Fallon’s relationship are put the test in this book. They have some tense moments, which they do work out. I’m so glad this series does not have a love triangle, which is an overused element in Young Adult genres.
- Fiona Hardingham does another amazing performance as narrator. I love her accent and I could listen to it all day. Her elegant tone is perfect for Fallon, since at home she is a Princess. I loved the passion, emotion and excitement that she brings to the story.
This series is perfect for readers who enjoy a story packed with action, adventure, intrigue, and romance. I can’t wait for the next book!
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
- 2018 Audiobook Challenge
- 2018 New Release Challenge