by Kresley Cole
Narrator: Robert Petkoff
Published by Simon & Schuster Audio on April 25, 2017
Genres: Adult Paranormal Romance
Length: 13 hours and 3 minutes
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble
This fairy tale doesn't end with a kiss....
A spellbinding Immortals After Dark tale from number-one New York Times best-selling author Kresley Cole!
The terrifying king of hell...
As a boy, Abyssian "Sian" Infernas had his heart shattered by a treacherous fey beauty who died before he could exact vengeance. Millennia later, a curse has transformed him into a demonic monster - just as she's been reincarnated. Sian captures the delicate but bold female, forcing her back to hell.
Meets his match.
Princess Calliope "Lila" Barbot's people have hated and feared Abyssian and his alliance of monsters for eons. When the beastly demon imprisons her in his mystical castle, vowing revenge for betrayals she can't remember, Lila makes her own vow: to bring down the wicked beast for good.
Can two adversaries share one happily ever after?
As Calliope turns hell inside out, the all-powerful Sian finds himself defenseless against his feelings for her. In turn Lila reluctantly responds to the beast's cleverness and gruff vulnerability. But when truths from a far distant past are revealed, can their tenuous bond withstand ages of deceit, a curse, and a looming supernatural war?
Wicked Abyss is another sexy and exciting romance in the Immortals After Dark series. I love this series, but I was a little disappointed in this book. Each book in the series can be read as a standalone. There is the continuous plot of the preparation of the Accession, a battle for supremacy that occurs every five hundred years, and characters from previous books make cameo appearances, but the story is easy to follow.
What did I like about Wicked Abyss?
- The story has elements from different fairytale elements, but the author put her own creative twist to them. Sian is the beast, transformed into a monstrous demon because of his connection to his home, Pandemonium. Because of his hatred for Lila, he locks her up in a tower, which has the elements of Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. But Lila will surprise you – she’s not a damsel in distress!
- I loved Lila’s snarky attitude and her quick wit. She was banished from her home to live in the mortal world, so she’s a survivor. Her life in the mortal world was hilarious (I don’t want to spoil it, but Kresley Cole has a great sense of humor).
- There were Sian and Lila moments that were sexy and had flirtatious banter. It was fun watching them try to outsmart each other.
- I loved the world building of Pandemonium, aka Hell. Kresley Cole developed a world with a unique beauty to it (a jade pebbled beach and diamond walls of a dormant volcano was breathtaking to imagine).
- I loved learning more about the Møriør. The Møriør are a group of immortals and are believed to be the cause of doomsday. They have a reputation for being heartless killers but we are seeing a different side to them. I hope there will be a book about the dragon Uthyr soon. He was charming and I’m curious about his past.
- I loved the narrator, Robert Petkoff. His performance kept me captivated and laughing. This is my first time listening to him and I loved his narration and the individual voices he created for each character. Now I need to listen to his narration of my favorite books from this series.
What didn’t I like about Wicked Abyss?
- The constant bickering made the pace of the story slow and at some points boring. I understand that Sian was bitter from his heartbreak, but it was repetitive and I just wanted the story to move on. This is my only complaint but it is enough to reduce my rating to 3.5 stars.
Even though Abyss and Lila aren’t my favorite couple I still enjoyed this book and I can’t wait for more in this series. Immortals After Dark is one of my favorite series. I recommend this to paranormal fans who love steamy romance and a variety of characters that will make you laugh and swoon.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
- 2017 Audiobook Challenge
- 2017 New Release Challenge