by Alice Clayton
Published by Gallery Books on May 23, 2017
Genres: Adult Contemporary Romance
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble
Reading Challenges: 2017 New Release Challenge
Clara Morgan is living the dream, if you can call rebranding hotels that are desperate for a new life and running any kind of marathon a dream. Which she does. But the career she loves and the endurance races that keep her adrenaline pumping have kept her too busy to put down any roots. Growing up in foster care, she’s never been able to establish traditions of her own, which may be why she’s fascinated by the rituals that generations-old family resorts are known for. She’s especially interested in the Bryant Mountain House, and not just for their secret recipe for the yummy, gooey, can’t-get-enough-of Hot Cross Buns….
Archie Bryant, the man with the Buns, is fifth generation and one-day-owner of the charming yet run-down Bryant Mountain House in Bailey Falls, New York. He’s determined to save his family’s legacy from the wrecking ball the old-fashioned way—by gritting his teeth and doing what needs to be done. There’s no way Archie will be influenced by the new hotel branding expert his father brought in to turn one hundred and fifty years of tradition on its head just to attract a faster, younger, slicker crowd. But when some of Clara’s ideas start bringing in new, paying customers, Archie can’t deny that she may have just given him a shot at keeping his resort open.
It’s sticky, it’s messy, it’s sweet, it’s Buns.
Buns is another romantic comedy from the amazing Alice Clayton. I love the Hudson Valley gang!
Buns is the third book in the Hudson Valley series but it can be read as a stand-alone. The series centers around 3 girlfriends and their happily-ever-after. Clara Morgan is the final friend to get drawn in to the magic of Hudson Valley. She is career driven and always on the road. Clara is guided by her passion for her work and a heartbreaking childhood that has her avoiding relationships. Archie Bryant is the soon-to-be owner of his family’s resort, the Bryant Mountain House. The resort is his home and the staff and guests are his family. The Bryant Mountain House has been struggling and needs an uplift, which brings Clara to the rescue. Clara and Archie don’t see eye-to-eye on the changes for the resort which leads to heated arguments and a spark of something more. Can Clara and Archie put their differences a side to save Bryant Mountain House? Will their hot tempers lead to hot and sexy nights? You have to read Buns to find out!
What did I like?
- Clara and Archie’s enemies to lovers’ relationship had some tense moments with witty banter. As much as they argued you still felt the sizzling chemistry building up between them.
- Clara is independent and feisty. She loves her work and it shows in her caring nature. Clara has helped other hotels so she anticipates Archie’s reluctance for change. She fires back with her great ideas and makes compromises to ease Archie’s doubts.
- I couldn’t help but love Archie. He’s not your typical guy. With his tortoise shell glasses and suit he has no idea of how charming and sexy he is. He treats his staff and guests like family, so it is understandable why he is reluctant to change. As soon as he sheds the stuffy businessman act he will have you swooning.
- I loved seeing Clara, Roxie and Natalie together. These ladies have been though a lot together and there is heartfelt moments and craziness when they are around.
What didn’t I like?
- Clara’s insecurities lead to poor choices and the story dragging in some parts. I understood her fears but it became repetitive and frustrating when she didn’t want to take a chance on love.
Overall I enjoyed Buns and I love Alice Clayton. The sweet romance, sexy flirtation and hilarious banter is always present in her writing and I know I’ll have a great time reading her book. I recommend this book to fans of sexy, romantic comedies.
I received this book as a member of the XOXperts, XOXO After Dark’s official street team, in exchange for an honest review. Visit XOXOAfterDark.com for the best in romance, urban fantasy and women’s fiction.