Beyond the Books is a weekly meme hosted by KissinBlueKaren.com which gives bloggers topics (mostly non-bookish) to discuss about. This is a fun way of learning more about each other. Check out her blog for the schedule of topics.
Welcome to my first post for Beyond the Books!! I’ve been looking for a new non-book meme for a while now and I’m really excited to participate in this!
This week’s topic is:
Tell us about your pets (or why you don’t have any)
My parents didn’t like having pets but as a kid I did have two. The first was a goldfish that we won at the fair (sadly he didn’t live long) and the second was a small lizard I found while camping (sadly again he didn’t live long). My husband grew up with having dogs and cats so I knew eventually we would have a pet. But I kept putting it off with reasons ranging from no space and we were on a tight budget with the kids. But in 2009 I got a call from my husband saying he had a surprise waiting for me when I got home. Right away I knew he got a pet for us and he explained that our neighbor asked us if we wanted a puppy for free. On my way home I was already calculating how much we would be spending and I was dreading it. But when I got home and saw the adorable face of the puppy I forgot about all the problems we would be having. It also didn’t help that my youngest daughter Kailee was 5-years-old at the time and she fell in love with the puppy too. My oldest daughter was visiting her grandparents but as soon as we told her the news she wanted to come home right away. Having a puppy for the first time was a big adjustment and luckily my husband knew what to do. All the sleepless nights and cleaning up the messes were worth it. Koko is an important part of our family and I love the way she greets me when I get home.
Here are some facts about Koko:
- As a puppy she chewed up our furniture (including the wood blinds for our door) and you still see the evidence around the house today.
- Also as a puppy she accidentally ate the squeaky part of her dog toy. She had to have surgery and it cost over $2,000. This was a very expensive lesson we learned and also it was heartbreaking knowing she was in pain!
- She hates it when we put clothes on her. She’ll stand frozen for a couple of minutes (that’s why she looks like a statue in her pictures lol).
- She loves her blankets. When I bought her a new one she was jumping because she was so excited. And when we wash her blankets she will wait by the washing machines until it is done.
- She only comes to me when she wants a snack. This is because everyone usually ignores her (they are too busy playing video games). So Koko will come to me and do everything to get my attention for a snack.
- She doesn’t like going for walks. She often gets spooked when she hears other dogs barking, so she will turn around and go straight home (at least it is good she knows how to get home).
- She knows the word “bath” and will hide under our coffee table. So we talk in code so she won’t know she’s getting a bath.
Now it’s your turn! Tell me about your pets (or why you don’t have any).